Wednesday, February 07, 2007

on writing



going through mails i just came across this list of questions sent from the young cousin of a friend for a school exercise, and my answers. thinking of it, this in fact was the first interview i gave about writing.

Q: I also need some advice from you. You are a writer?
A: Yes, I am a writer - I write short stories and poems. So far I have one book published: "Masala Moments" - it's a travel novel, based on my own journeys through India.

Q: What are the skills that I need to be a good writer?
A: The skills a writer need are: curiousity for the world, and the patience to work with a text as long as it takes to make it good. Also it's important to read a lot. And to write a lot. Someone once gave me this advice: "Write a lot. Write everyday. Write as much as possible. The more you write the better your writing gets."

Q: A. says that you are German. Do you write in German or English?"
A: I am German, and I write both in German and in English.

Q: What do you enjoy most about writing?
A: What I enjoy most about writing... to create scenes and stories just by using a pencil and a paper. it's like magic, isn't it? there's the white page, and an hour later, there's a story or a poem that will be read by others, by people I have never met.
.

No comments: